Literacy is a really tough class for me to handle since it’s an ESL to me. I’ve been working on improving many skills: writing, speaking (fluency), and other skills that are relevant to literacy. I perpetually use many online resources to develop these skills, and it encompasses Khan Academy, Newsela, and other free available sites.
A few weeks ago, I was given an assignment by my literature teacher to write a short poem, and mine was about the Christchurch mosque shootings in New Zealand.
- Hate is the darkest force the world has ever known
- Hate comes from the difference in skin color, the difference in belief, and the difference in gender
- As a result, hate causes great suffering, violent discrimination, and lots of death
- Hate is the murderer to millions of innocent people
- Those innocents who died from hatred are us
- They are us
- They belong to this world, too!
- There is always an option in life
- To show compassion not discrimination
- To show love not hate
- The world, in fact, would be peaceful if there was never hate
- I’m here in front of you today to tell you that hate can be overcome
- Because once we show love, people will always remember what we’ve done
- Now, take a moment to close your eyes to show respect and love to those 50 innocent people who got killed from hatred in New Zealand
Besides the poem, I love to read news about world current events and science articles. Newsela has everything, I really enjoy reading its articles since it comes with different reading levels; I can pick a level that’s reasonable for me, and it has various quizzes that I can do to reflect on my reading. It also comes with many other awesome functions and activities.
We also use Commonlit for reading and answering questions.
I also use this site to develop my vocabulary skill.